Thursday, November 24, 2022

My OD&D Box

 Some of you may have heard me mention about how this or that thing is going into my OD&D Box. For a while that was mostly metaphorical, as I didn't actually have a box to keep all of the related booklets and other things inside. 

Until now! 

I present to you, my OD&D box with all of its current contents!

What's actually inside the OD&D box currently?

1. Printed version of the Premium edition of the Three Little Brown Books. 

2. White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game

3. Delving Deeper (v4)

4. Holmes Basic D&D rulebook.

5. Chainmail 3rd edition

6. Original Edition Delta Book of War

7. Original Edition Delta Book of Spells

8. Outdoor Survival (for the game board)

9. Printed version of Philotomy's Musings 

10. Printed version of The Original D&D Setting

11. Original Edition Campaign house rules 

12. Printed version of Magic Swords for Swords & Wizardry


Close up of the box art. I tried to keep up with the tradition of writing a needlessly verbose description of what is inside it.

So what's the point of all this? There are so many versions of OD&D, and so many related texts that I all found fascinating, that I just decided to collect them all in there. Plus, it's just plain funny to have a big box with a whole bunch of OD&D booklets all stuck inside it. Speaking of which...

Plenty of space left in there!


What else is going into the OD&D Box? 

Currently I have a few documents that I still have in just pdf that I would like to eventually have a physical version put into the OD&D box. In no particular order, the things I look forward to getting in there are:

* Fantastic Medieval Campaigns (OD&D and Chainmail rewrite) by Marcia B.

* Unchained Fantasy (OD&D with Chainmail combat) by Daniel Norton

* Grognard (Chainmail retroclone) - this one I am not so sure about. 

And potentially anything else that I feel fits within the loose and unspecified definition of OD&D! 

6 comments:

  1. Including Magic Swords is a great choice. In mine I'll probably throw in Eldritch Wizardry, Greyhawk, and Blackmoor, and maybe First Fantasy Campaign, just for completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have the pdfs for the rest of the supplements, I just have no real interest in any of them, hence why I haven't gotten them printed or included in this. The Magic Swords document is great though, I've generated two swords for my campaign using that already, and they're both very fun!

      Delete
  2. I have recently stumbled upon your blog. I have read several entries and find much of what you share useful and insightful. Your origin story into the OSR was quite thought-provoking. Nevertheless, have you considered adding a DM's screen of sorts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, to answer your question, I have considered it, however it does beg a further question - Which DM screen? After all the box has, technically, 4 different versions or related at least versions of OD&D in it, so having one single screen is probably not doable. I have however considered making myself one of those DM screens where you can use inserts to change up what kind of information you have on them.

      In that case I would probably chuck that in the box as well, along with inserts made for whatever house ruled version I am using at that moment! Right now my solution is to use my Old School Essentials screen and clip on some paper with various bits of info that I tend to use when I run my current campaign.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, I've looked through them and honestly I don't think I have much use out of them, so no, they're not in the box. I do own the d30 Companion books which I think of as the more modern day version of the Ready Ref Sheets, but those are not in there either.

      Delete