Monday, November 20, 2023

U-Con 2023 - Sunday & Final Thoughts

Last day of the convention and I only had one game.  So I'll go over that, and then some final thoughts about the con overall.

The Cave of Our People 


This game was run by the same GM who ran the Great Egg Race yesterday. The adventure is for Primal Quest, but the GM was using a modified Cairn for the rules. 


The general premise is that the characters are a group of young people from a Neolithic tribe about to undergo the initiation rituals to become adults. 

The premise is fun and enjoyable, however I will say I found the adventure itself quite linear and not all that interesting. There was not a lot to do that wasn't just go from encounter to encounter. The GM himself seemed to struggle with it at times, having to pause to read through the booklet which did kill the pacing of the game on several occasions, but I think a lot of it can be laid at the module itself. 

It wasn't a bad experience or anything, but definitely the low point of the four games I played in during the convention.

Final Thoughts

So, if I had to describe my overall feeling of U-Con 2023 it would be "Good, but not Great".  The convention felt (and was) smaller and a bit less varied in offerings especially in the OSR side of games. It felt like a clearly diminished version of the convention I saw when I was there in 2019 for their 30 year anniversary.

Still, despite all of that, U-Con is an enjoyable convention. having the hotel and convention center be in the same building just makes things feel cozy and intimate. Would I wish there were more and more varied OSR games being run? Yes. Perhaps I should have run one myself, but I kept going back and forth on that and decided against it.

I would overall recommend it to anyone who's in the area and if I had the option to, I would likely attend it in the future too (But I won't, due to life).

No comments:

Post a Comment